Location: Land at Kara Street, Langworthy, Salford
Client: Salix Homes and Step Places
- 157 residential dwellings apartments and houses
- 58% affordable houses in variety of tenures
- Reinvention of terraced housing fit for modern needs
- Re-connect this longstanding vacant site back into the local community
- Modern materials palette and Manual for Streets layout requirements
- Housing Market Renewal Pathfinder site demolished in 2008
- Council owned land sold on the open market
- Joint venture between Salix Homes and Step Places
- Two sites physically separate but under a single planning permission
Summary of NJL Approach:
NJL were instructed to work alongside BDP in advising Salix Homes and Step Places on a competitive bid process to acquire a site from Salford City Council. We advised on scheme composition to drive a land value leading to a successful bid. Under the terms of the agreement, a planning application was required to be submitted expeditiously and NJL managed the programme for submission of an application in February 2020 following a period of public consultation.
We worked to address consultee feedback through the post-application process and the scheme was approved at planning committee in May 2020 at the Council’s first ‘virtual meeting’.
Full planning permission approved within clients’ programmed timescales.