Location: Wixams, Bedford
Client: B&M Retail
- £70m build project
- 50-acre site
- 1 million sq.ft single unit logistics centre
- 1,800 employees
- Complex development site in urban extension area
- Large scale site with a single proposed unit
- Landscape and visual impact issues regarding wider impacts
- Shared access and cumulative impact issues with additional logistics unit next door
- Sustainable access requirements for new work force
- Fast turnaround needed to meet national logistics pressures for leading UK retail client
Summary of NJL Approach:
NJL provided strategic planning advice on how best to achieve a detailed consent on the site as quickly as possible whilst reducing the risk of refusal or deferral. Detailed early discussions with the Local Authority set a clear series of actions and NJL project managed a wide series of technical inputs to bring the application forward earlier than expected.
Planning consent was achieved within 6 months of commencing the project. NJL were then retained to discharge all pre-start and pre-occupation conditions with follow up technical details as required to ensure that the contracted start on site could occur and stay on programme.