Location: Land at Wilmslow Road, Heald Green
Client: Bloor Homes
- First phase of 202 dwellings
- 57 affordable homes (28%)
- New residential neighbourhood in Heald Green
- Design Code to set the precedent and guide for future phases
- Political and local sensitivities due to Green Belt context and wider GMSF allocation
- First strategic greenfield development within Stockport in recent years due to lack of available sites and Green Belt constraints
- Importance of securing high design standards across all aspects of the scheme
- Future proofing for any wider connectivity subject to GMSF progress and wider funding bids from Stockport Council
Summary of NJL Approach:
NJL provided strategic planning advice on the scheme design and wider risk implications, most notably relating to the proposed GMSF consultation in November 2020. This provided an urgency to submit, with NJL leading on the project management of both design and technical teams through a detailed pre-application process with the Council and Places Matter.
NJL set out the team strategy on enhancing upon the approved masterplan principles, prepared the Planning Statement and coordinated with all technical consultants to ensure that an application was prepared and submitted within 12 weeks from initial scheme concept.
Through detailed pre-application engagement with the Council, design team and Places Matter the outcome has been a high-quality design response to the site’s local context and key features.
An application has recently been submitted to the Council for determination and continues to be managed through the post-submission phase.