Location: Plot D3,MediaCityUK, Salford
Client: Glenbrook (on behalf of Clarion Housing Group)
- 280 apartment residential-led development designed across two blocks (14 and 17 storeys)
- 278sqm of retail/ commercial floorspace with ancillary residents’ lounge and gym facilities
- Opportunity to deliver up to 100 shared ownership apartments
- Revised proposal on a relatively small and constrained site within MediaCityUK
- Landmark residential scheme within the heart of MediaCityUK
- Previous planning permission for a high-density mixed-use scheme under the Phase 2 Reserved Matters consent
- Clarion Housing Group as the agreed end user for the development
- Delivering a high-quality scheme within a tightly defined site that addressed key design objectives sought by the Council and reflected the site’s prominence.
- Delivering betterment across all design and technical aspects in comparison to the site’s existing planning permission.
- Given the consented masterplan for MediaCityUK envisaged the site as a key focal point in the MediaCityUK skyline, with an approved height up to 31 storeys, the reduced height (14 and 17 storeys) and design being proposed required robust justification.
- Securing a planning permission that provided sufficient flexibility for the proposed end user, Clarion Housing Group, in relation to grant funding bids made alongside the determination of the application for potential affordable housing provision.
Summary of NJL Approach
NJL provided strategic planning advice on how best to approach the planning case given the fallback position of the consented scheme and in working to tightly defined deadlines, project managed the application under an agreed Planning Performance Agreement with Salford City Council.
NJL drew upon our robust understanding on the more commercial aspects of development delivery and viability to justify how Clarion’s development model and proposed phasing strategy (informed by market trends) couldn’t facilitate an increased building height as envisaged under the MediaCityUK masterplan.
Drawing upon our wider experience on regeneration and projects within MediaCityUK more specifically, we collated evidence linking economic, social and spatial elements together to robustly justify the proposed scheme and the significant benefits this would bring to MediaCityUK.
Securing full planning permission ahead of statutory determination timescales by helping to drive through the scheme from initial concept to determination within 5 months. The scheme will deliver high quality homes and the key benefit of affordable provision within the commercial core of MediaCityUK to complement the continued growth of the area.